Deb Bailey
A
In response to Peace Zodanou.
The Emotional Craft of Fiction is one of my favorites. Another one I like is Lisa Cron's Wired for Story.
10:17 AM - Apr 02, 2023
robertcollins
A
Liked "Making Shapely Fiction," but haven't read it in a while. A more recent one is Gail Carriger's "The Heroine's Journey."
03:46 PM - Apr 01, 2023
Graham Milne
A
There is always The Poetics of Aristotle if one wants to go all the way back to the beginning.
02:01 PM - Apr 01, 2023
ML Hart
A
I learned a *lot* from:
Emma Darwin's blog This Itch of Writing
Julia Cameron's The Vein of Gold
William Zissner's On Writing Well
Matt Bell's Refuse To Be Done
Janice Reddish's Letting Go of the Words
12:44 PM - Apr 01, 2023
Christiana Doucette
A
KM Weiland's Creating Character Arcs. I just worked back through that with my current WIP, and wrote out a bunch of edits, and now I'm working my way through my list.

Other than that, it depends on where I need work. But one I return to often is emotional connection: The Emotional Craft of Fictio
07:04 PM - Mar 31, 2023
Sharon Zimmerman
A
Steering the Craft by Ursula K leGuin. There was something about it that made me feel like everything I wanted to write is achievable.
03:13 PM - Mar 31, 2023
David Adam Edelstein
A
In response to Sharon Zimmerman.
I'm not even a writer and I adored that book. So good.
04:51 PM - Mar 31, 2023
Michael Karg
A
I like Jane Yolen's Take Joy
01:27 PM - Mar 31, 2023
Jenny S
A
Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott and Telling Lies for Fun and Profit by Lawrence Block.
12:13 PM - Mar 31, 2023
Linda Eisenstein
A
As a playwright, I have a shelf of craft books but the one I’ve used & recommended the most is Jeffrey Sweet’s The Dramatist’s Toolkit. For inspiration, Natalie Goldberg’s Wild Mind.
11:55 AM - Mar 31, 2023
Carol D ☮️
A
I second “On Writing” by Stephen King. A great resource. I’m not even a fan of his genre, but his ability to write in a way that makes it feel like he’s sitting in the room with you telling you the story is second to none, and a gift many don’t have. .
11:46 AM - Mar 31, 2023
J.D. Cunegan
A
On Writing by Stephen King and Damn Fine Story by Chuck Wendig. (Honorable mention to Libbie Hawker's Take Off Your Pants!, an outlining book for pantsers.)
11:40 AM - Mar 31, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}